Thursday, September 02, 2010

I Knew This Day Would Come


I was trying to post every day for 30 days,
but if there's one thing I know about myself it's that if I ever say
"every" when it comes to a resolution,
you can be sure I will break it as soon as possible.

I'm not an "every" kind of person.

I'm not even an "every other" kind of person.

I'm more like a
random-when-the-spirit-moves-me-resolutions-are-made-to-be-broken
sort of person.

And last night my band played a song that I wrote.
And I'm really excited about it.

And I think that if I were the kind of person who could post every single
day for a month without missing, ever,
or if I were the kind of person who always turned her library books in on time,
or the kind of person who didn't forget appointments
or rush around being late to everything,
then maybe I wouldn't be the kind of person who could write a song.

That's completely not true, the song would probably be way more awesome -

but it's the kind of thing I tell myself when,
as happened just two minutes ago,
I leave the sprinkler on overnight

and realize it only while gazing out at the yard the next day,
spying it sprinkling there to and fro, to and fro,
steadfast and sure,
beneath the drizzly gray skies of a morning rainstorm.

*

7 comments:

Heidi Lee said...

I love that the sprinkler was on.

AND I love even MORE that your song was played!!!

Brian Miller said...

so are you going to share this song with us?

Kulio said...

I have a really really rough (VERY ROUGH) recording of it from rehearsal last night. I think I will wait until I get a good concert recording before I proudly display it! My band is so good, they make it sound great.

Diane said...

I hope we are finally at a point in life where we CAN say - "Hey - I left the stupid sprinkler on! But I wrote an awesome song...and I'm ok with that!"

mrc-w said...

Congrats on the new song!! Are you playing it at the gig tomorrow?

Kulio said...

Yeah we're doing it - Palindromyka! haha

William Cryderman said...

How did the palindromyka go tonight? I wish I could have been there to hear it.